Marketing is essentially the art of identifying the customer needs and developing suitable solutions to satisfy the needs, while sales involves the art of selling the solutions to the customer .
Consider a small case :
A Leading Market research organisation identified that more then 30% of the user of a beauty cream Product ( e.g., Fair and Lovely or Nivea, Etc ) are men . the organisation also identified then reason why men use these product , – Feminine Product – Viz., Lack of Masculine Product ,
The issue can we come out with a product exclusively ti be used by men ? – the Solution – Fair and Handsome – A male beauty product and Later on Nivea for Men , etc .
the Job of Marketing person is essentially to identify solutions to satisfy the customer’s needs , while job of sales person is to sell the solution in this case . sell the fair and Handsome Product
Core Difference Between Sales Marketing Defined below
|Planning – Annual ( Divisional ) Budget||first point of contact with the customer|
|Product , pricing and Distribution Policy||Make offers and Execute the same|
|Business Monitoring||Responsible for the commercial principle|
|Coordination with works , sales and Transaction of the receivables||collect information on the Market , competition, customer, etc. and give the same to marketing person|
|Design and Make Available the sales training concepts and Materials||responsible for sale and service implementation|
|Design and make available to the sales, after sales service concept||provide feedback of the market to the marketing person|
|Key account Management||Regional Budgets|
|Marketing Person – Thinker||Sales Person – The Doer|
Role of Marketing is different from the role of a sales , Both are in however two sides of the same Coin
- Plan and implement training along with the Hr. and schedule the training programs for the sales .
- Content to be finalized by Marketing for skill- based programmers and for behavioral- based programs by HR
- review the quality of product to ensure Zero service ( after sales service ) define response time of service .
- Finalize action plan for training of service personal at work and / or parent’s body factory for product knowledge and service knowledge .
- Discuss and finalize the service EBIT
- Need to Manage the manufacturing cost ( including the idle cost and extra cost )
- Manage the Operational cost – which include selling and distribution cost .
- Manage the Non Operational Cost – Manpower , marketing sales , works, Logistics and after sales service
- Along with Marketing , Plan and Implement training Programmes for sales and product promotion
- Plan and Implement training Programs for sales engineers
- Content to be finalized by Marketing for sill- Based Programmes and for behavioral Based Programmes by HR
- Monitor the complaints and analyze the same and communicate to marketing departments
- Coordinate with regional service department the service action plan and initiate necessary stocking levels
- keep track of return goods and spares management so as to ensure timely support to customers
- Operational cost- Quantity targets fulfillment ( Most Important )Plan, Monitor , implement and control free supplies
- Non Operational cost – Debtors provisions , bad debts , sales tax forms , Liquidation of non moving stocks per guidelines
- Optimum utilization of manpower at sales , Logistics and services
So to conclude – Marketing and Sales are two different part of an organization but dependent on each other performance , Planning and implementation