After choosing the advertising message , the advertiser’s next task is to choose the advertising media to carry. the steps here are to decide on desired reach , frequency and impact , choosing among major media types, selecting specific media vehicles , deciding on media timing and deciding on geographical media allocation
- Research (R) : The number of different or the target audience particular media scheduled at least once during a specified time period
- Frequency (F) : The number of time within the specified time period that an average person or the household is exposed to the message .
- Impact (I): The qualitive value of exposure though a given medium .
B – Choosing among major media types: The media planner has to know the capacity of the major media types to deliver reach , frequency and impact . Media planners make their choice among these media categories by considering several variables, the most important of these are the following :
- Target audience media habits
- Circulation : The number of physical units carrying the advertising .
- Audience : The number of people who are exposed to the vehicle .( if the vehicle has passed on readership, then the audience is larger than circulation
- Effective audience : The number of people with the largest audience characteristics who are exposed to the vehicle.
- Effective ad- exposed audience : The number of people with the target audience characteristics who actually saw the advertisement .
The choice of media is dependent on the type of industry that the company is operating thus for e.g.
- Consumer Goods : Use the media newsprint , television , internet , event sponsorship, add – on Promoters , Hoardings , etc.
- Industrial Products : Use the media industry Publications, Exhibitions , conference’s , seminars , direct mailers , presentation , etc. .
- Infrastructure services : Use a mix of the above the media , television , internet , event , sponsorship , Hoarding , exhibitions , presentations etc.